Tuesday, April 13, 2010

runnin with lexi-dog

When I was younger, I had a lab that would run with me. He was good at pacing me and pushing me to run faster. I have alot of fond memories with this dog. It's hard to find somebody to run with that can run at a certain time, for a certain distance and at a certain pace. I am very particular about running, I like to run early in the morning when the air is crisp and it is quite. I hate running with music or with somebody who talks. I tried a couple of running partners, but that just fell through. So I decided to get a puppy so I could train to run with me. Last October, my mom's pitbull got preggers with a boxers babies. She had 10 and I fell in love with one in particular the day the were born. Although she was the cutest, Lexington Shae Davis as we named her was also the most energetic. This has made her training a little harder than expected. However, this dog loves to run. It seems that I don't run long enough or fast enough for her. She would literally drag me around the park or neighborhood, and people would laugh. She's really big for her age, almost my height and more than half my weight! I have bought her different types of collars and leashes but they don't seem to stop her. Finally I had an epiphany! I looped the leash around my waist then clasped it to her collar. Not only does this shorten the leash, but it puts my whole body weight against her so she can't drag me, and leaves my arms free to run correctly. This has worked great for over a week. We get up for an early run and then go again in the afternoon. This helps release some of that energy and makes her a better obeying dog throughout the day. This morning we went through our usual routine and were out on a jog. About 800 meters away from our house we go past a wooded area. Apparently all the small creatures were up and about. Usually I let her see and smell things, but don't let her get excited. Her excitement escalated way too fast and she went on hunting mode. I had to drag her away from the woods! Still excited she tried to take out my foot, which is not good while you're in mid-run. I tripped and fell on my face right in our neighbors front yard. It was humiliating!!! But I had to compose myself in order to correct her behavior. Seriously, I underestimated the effort it takes to train a puppy....

No comments:

Post a Comment