Monday, February 15, 2010

valentines hypocrit?

When February comes around, valentines day is everywhere. Advertisements for gifts are heard on the radio, tv, seen on billboards and in stores. It's a nice concept that once a year your significant other shows his/her affection. However, i think that a day shouldn't be reserved for such, what about every other day in the year? Why can't everyday be a lovers holiday? Women and girls expect valentines to come with gifts, flowers, chocolate and balloons if not from their significant other, a secret admirer. I think it might be a schoolgirl fantasy that never grows old. Valentines Day is also a day that singles out those that don't have a love partner, which seems to belittle and exclude them from this occasion. Is society too concerned with monetary significance that they interpret as "romance?" Or is this a ploy from companies that make money from it? Although I have tried to resist and even ban this holiday from my life, I guess I have been swept up by the hype of such a romantic, perfect day...making me a valentines hypocrit!

No comments:

Post a Comment